Monday 16 April 2012

Viking Invasion!



 This weekend, once more, Scotland was invaded by vikings! Um, except they were mainly Scottish vikings and a couple of Canadians too...OK, so what I know about vikings could probably be written on the back of a very small postcard. But I do know that small boys (and their dads, so it turns out) just love them! And so it came to pass that for my youngest son's birthday party, that our garden and house was filled a horde of erm, really rather cute, no, apparently I should say, ferocious vikings.


And a dragon. Because what are vikings without dragons? And because T just IS a dragon. Of the smallest, generally sweetest, kind.  For years now...


So after gearing up with some felt helmets - which came together surprisingly swiftly - I may do a wee tute if life allows...wooden shields (made by the Chief himself) got decorated and named with runic letters. Wooden swords all round, then it was time for a bit of viking training - led all too convincingly by the Chief himself - soon had everyone roaring around the garden.


A bit of blind fold viking dressing...



No wonder he looked rather grumpy...


Then to the feasting! They each made an edible shield (that's pizza to you and me).


For fans of Cressida Cowell's books of 'How to Train your Dragon' can you spot Hiccup and Camicazi? And Toothless of course...


The Chief proved (once again) to be a million times better at cake decorating than me.  Me: "Can you make me a dragon?"  Him: "No problem" And so it proved to be. No flames, other than seven candles but it was all devoured...


Vikings welcome any day!

3 comments:

  1. :) :) Obviously a lot of fun! On the subject of your wee tutorial if life allows... did you see my belated reply to your comment on my blog? We'd love it if you'd write us a guest post! Let's get in touch by email - you can contact me through my Blogger profile page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome birthday party. My kids are impressed. Thanks for sharing this great celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just come across this whilst looking for Book Day inspiration - I love the Hiccup and Camicazi photo :)

    ReplyDelete